Well, sadly the first weekend in February was not filled with cleaning and painting, though it did include a spectacular Ravens Super Bowl win!
Rewind to Thursday, 1/30: We found out that our sellers have had issues getting their financing settled and the "clear to close" from their lender. Basically, the peach house (our house) is in the wife's name; we will pay our money to her. The husband will be the one whose name is on the deed for their new house, not the wife, so they need to be able to show the bank that he has access to the money we pay to her. To top it off, the person at the seller's lender who normally handles these more complicated issues was on vacation last week. Just peachy! Grrrr!
I was a bit "blindsided" by our lawyer's office on Friday, 1/31. They called and asked me to touch base with our mortgage company on Monday about how much an extension of our rate lock-in would cost--meaning we might not be closing by Friday 2/8 when it expired. Considering our original closing date had been 1/18/13, I had a minor freak-out. With the weekend, there was not much we could do until Monday. Luckily, planning and hosting a Super Bowl party was a good distraction.
On Monday, I spent 25 min on the phone with our insurance company, moving the home owner's insurance effective date for a 3rd time--grrrrr! I talked to our realtor with Jeff. I talked to our bank. We found out we could not extend our rate past Friday, only our Mortgage approval, and rates have gone up. Jeff and I did not want to lose our superb rate, so we shared with our realtor the urgency of getting something done by Friday. And then we waited some more.
Finally, this morning, our lawyer called me. The sellers can close, if we give them until Monday to move out. Our lawyer suggested we compromise on Sunday at noon, since she knew we were not at all crazy about the rent-back (them paying us rent for every day they are in the house after closing) situation. As of this morning, we FINALLY have a closing date, Friday, February 8th!!!!!! Please cross all fingers and toes it works out!
No comments:
Post a Comment