Monday, March 14, 2016

Did I Mention I Hate Wallpaper?

Have I mentioned I hate wallpaper? I haven't had to deal with it much, thank goodness, but it is not my favorite. Mostly because of the permanence factor. If you put up wallpaper and don't like it, redoing it the right way (removing it and rewallpapering) is so much more involved than grabbing a gallon of paint and repainting.

I knew wall paper would be a pain to remove. It's one of those DIY tales of woe you see across the internet. It is a well know fact. I'm just glad it was only a half bath! I can't imaging the DIYers who take on a whole house of wallpaper. DIYers, I salute you.

Wallpaper #1 and #2 - the red and white floral was under the blue flower

Found the signs of a blue and maybe yellow floral paper along the upper edges of the walls. I guess someone couldn't get those last bits.
Our wallpaper job was not done right, they didn't completely remove the 1st type of wall paper, so in some areas I had two layers. I actually found traces of a 3rd wallpaper as well. Think how many other people had struggled to remove wall paper in this bathroom before me! And yet each time, they chose to put up more wall paper!

Now they probably put up more paper because in addition to removing the paper. You have to repair your walls so they have a flat, smooth wall appearance. I used a wall paper removal spray called Chomp. It took awhile, but did a pretty good job loosening the glue. It probably would have been faster if I didn't have to work in 1 hours intervals after the baby went to sleep at night. The wet areas would dry out over night and I would start from scratch.

The process took a lot of patience, but it had it's own surprises other than more wallpaper behind the existing wallpaper. I also found that at somepoint somone had done a pretty bad patch job on a hole in the wall, and pink and blue might have been a color scheme?



Also, Happy 30th Birthday Joan? Probably several decades ago? I wonder where Joan is now?


I guess you never know what you will find during a DIY project! More to follow on the bathroom, it's got to get worse before it gets better!
















No comments:

Post a Comment