Friday, November 18, 2016

Daft Door

Buying a house built over 50 years ago means it will have some quirks. Like the doors cut 1.5 inches above the hardwood floors to accommodate the shag carpet that once was there. One of the quirks of out house was the weird door and storm door combo between our kitchen and the garage. Yes, we had an interior storm door.

The door wooden door we had on the interior was a regular hollow core door like you would have on a bedroom with a tab lock, no bolt. Not good for safety, insulation, or fireproofing. You are require to install a 90 minute, steel, fire rated door in all new homes built. I guess we were grandfathered in. As if that wasn't weird enough with the storm door opening out on to the landing in the garage, you had to exit the house and close the storm door before you could walk to the access to the backyard. This was also dangerous because the platform you exited onto had no railing. I guess the storm door was for insulation so warm air didn't flow into the cold garage all winter.

For many reasons, we can say this didn't work. Here are some pictures I took to illustrate it.







Photos are hard, so I did a little video to demonstrate. Please excuse my rambling.



Luckily a sale at home depot and a handy family friend cam to our rescue. We now have a safe, fire proof, insulated door. 








No comments:

Post a Comment