Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Be our guest....

Our guest room was probably one of the more bland rooms in the house in terms of wall color (white), but it made up for it with it's crazy bed crown.

Before when we first saw the house

Tiny baby!

Well, they took the crown, but left us the elegant curtains. I will not go into detail on how much dust came out when I took those curtains down, we'll just say a lot is an understatement.



Old, dirty, a big ugly wire, the charm just adds up doesn't it?

We set up the guest bed and got it clean enough to sleep in and then forgot about it for a few months in favor of the first floor bath, kitchen, and living room. I didn't even take a photo of it because it was so underwhelming and not the least bit attractive. We had just needed a functional space for the grandparents.

My parents were coming up mother's day weekend to help babysit, and I thought a good surprise would be to pay a little attention to the guest room before they arrived. Nothing like the hard deadling of guests staying in the guest room to motivate you.

I started by painting the trim white. We are painting all of the trim in the house white. The wooden ranch style casing around the doors and windows here is nothing special, not like our Rochester house. The white makes the house feel fresh and much more modern. The natural wood ranch casing just screams "I was built in the 1960s" which, if that is what you are going for, is fine. But we don't want people to be thinking that in our house. As I have gone about the painting, I have found the white trim makes the rooms seem bigger, brighter, and taller.

Here are pictures I look after the trim was done as I prepared to paint the walls. I always try to do the trim painting first when I can because it takes 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of white semi-gloss to cover the wood. It goes a lot faster when you don't care if you get white on the walls.



As you can tell, we are going with a green color. It was a tight finish, but I was able to get the room set back up the night before my parents arrived. And the long awaited before and after:


After!


It is more bright and modern and has a bit more personality than it did before. I hung new brushed nickle curtain rods and the gray and white chevron curtains from Walmart. (I recommend Walmart for curtains, they have some good curtains for a very low price. The gray and white bedspread was a steal from Target. The rest of the items we had. The bedside lamps are from our Master bedroom when we upgraded and the chest of drawers, desk, and bedside tables were in the attic of our old house. My instinct not to purge them in our 2013 and 2016 moves paid off.



Even our cat approves!

No comments:

Post a Comment