Didn't think I would get excited about the hallway did you? It was pretty basic and wouldn't immediately draw your attention as needing work.
The white paint had taken a beating between the previous owner's dogs, a person moving out, and us moving in. Since we needed to repaint, we decided to take the opportunity to add a touch of color. We have also made the decision to paint all of the trim in the house white. The wooden trim has 50+ years of dings, holes, and scratches (did I mention the dogs), and just needed to be updated.
So I broke out the color swatches and we decided on a pale gray color (Sterling by Behr) for the walls and white for the trim (as it will be throughout the house). I painted the trim first to save on time. I didn't need to be a careful priming and painting since the walls were going to be painted.
Just painting the trim made the ceilings seem so much taller! I couldn't wait to get the color on the color on the walls. So while my in-laws were in town for Easter, I put my father-in-law to work rolling while I tackled the cutting in. Between the two of us we were able to get two coats on the walls in one day!
The hallway also had really dim light fixtures that one of our friends described as "grandma's house" style.
So, our friend Kevin was nice enough to switch out the fixtures when he came to visit to ones like the lights we put in the upstairs hallway. We decided keeping the hall light fixtures consistent was the best since we will be carrying the downstairs wall color up to the upstairs hallway as well. Here is the final before and the after view!
The lower profile lights also help the ceiling feeling higher.
As you can see, the gray color is very subtle and fresh. And goes well with our new half bath paint color.
Hope you love it as much as we do! As always, there is more to come!












No comments:
Post a Comment