Well, the bush in the front yard isn't gone, but I got a pretty extreme pruning courtesy of moi. I was doing some work outside on Saturdays morning, and it was so nice, I thought I should come up with another outdoor project to do before lunch! I had been wanting to cut back the bush (it is a Rose of Sharon and actually very pretty, but it is just too huge. This was how it looked when we bought the house:
It was a big brown mess of sticks. Not attractive. Once it filled out it was even bigger and blocked the view from one entire side of the front porch.
It bugged the heck out of me, but the lady at the garden shop said to wait until Autumn to cut it back. I impatiently waited all summer; Fantasizing about when I could finally attack. And attach I did! This is some of the branches I took off. One armload was already at the curb.
Here are the before and after comparisons for your enjoyment!
Our flag doesn't get stuck in the bush anymore!
And you can actually see the stairs from the front walkway! And out hanging basket is now visible on this side!
I am so excited to have this done. I would like to have taken it a bit shorter, but I didn't want the bush to look bald. I am going to git it next summer to fill in some, then take a few more inches off. I would really like to be able to put a window box on on both openings of the porch.
There are more posts coming. You may have noticed how nice out front trim (facia) is looking in these pictures. I have a full write up on that once our front gutter is rehung. I also have an exciting attic post coming that has Jeff and I are hopeful about the possibilities the space presents.


No comments:
Post a Comment