Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Meet the Parents - Part 2

I apologize for the hiatus from the bog. After the big parents working weekend, I took a little time off to work on some mundane things like taxes and organizing my closet. Not really blog worthy things. But now I am back with part two of the things we accomplished while Mom and Dad were in town.

Mom and I got our craft domestic on hemming the basement door curtain between the utility side of the basement and the den.


It's funny how little things like hemming makes everything look so much neater!

Then we got into curtains more and actually made our own curtains. In the guest room, there are two windows, the big window on the front wall, and a small high window on the side of the house. Jeff and I had bought curtains for the big window, but we weren't going to buy 80" curtain panels for a small square window. The curtains on the front window were great but too long.


With extra length on the curtains, Mom and I decided that the length could be used for curtains for the small window. We used iron hem tape to save us on sewing.


With the length we cut off, we were able to make two small curtains for the small window.



Here is a little before and after shot from when we bought the house and the new front window look:



The guestroom has finally come together!

Dad and I also figured out the secret of the breakfast nook table (I know, it sounds like a Hardy Boys mystery). The table top of the nook table was replace with a faux wood laminate top sometime in the past 94 years. The previous owner topped that with faux stone grouted into place. It is not an ideal surface for eating on because it is uneven and when you cut your plate wobbles. Plus, Jeff and I would much prefer a natural wood top more in keeping with what the original nook table would have had.

The good news is the original legs were used with the replacement top. Dad and I got up close and personal with the underside of the table.


While under there, we figure out you could unscrew or unlock, the table to move it out of the nook. This let you get in to clean under the benches and table.


We have future plans to come up with some sort of new table top, but for now, I am just excited I don't have to squeeze under the nook to clean anymore!

I will have another parent update at some point if how Mom and I tackled the living room ceiling cracks.


That is for a whole other day!

No comments:

Post a Comment