Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Ever heard of a cellerette?

In my last refinishing post, here, I shared the refresher project I did with my mom to prepare me for the bigger project of refinishing the cabinet Jeff and I bought at a church sale. It was rough on the top and front, but I knew it had good bones! 



The spindle leg table was such a big success for mom and I, and I had a ton of fun working with her on it. So when I was heading to the camp for a weekend in August, I had Jeff help me load the very heavy cabinet in the car and took it with me. (Mom's space for refinishing is much better than dragging furniture onto the porch every time I want to work on it.) Then Mom and I got to work.

 

My Granny acted as job forewoman.


After an afternoon it looked like this:




We made a great discovery when we had the cabinet turned on it's side. There was a label on the bottom that told us the cabinet was actually from Sibley, Lindsey, and Curr and is no mere cabinet...it is a Cellerette! What does that mean? It is a cabinet meant to be a bar!


The next day, we started on the stain. Mom is a master at mixing stains, and she came up with a stain match for the original finish. 


That was the work for my weekend with Mom. She was such a HUGE help and I owe her big! She has a carte blanche to pull me in on a future project. Next step was for me to polyurethane:


After it dried, we put the cellerette in it's new home. Here is a reminder of the before followed by the after:




In this picture you can see the interior with the original finished and the feet stain with the mix my Mom created to match. (Pretty awesome, right?)


So now you know what a cellerette is! Hope you like the finished product as much as we do. 

An update on the war we are raging with the back yard is next, so come one back :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment